“We are very excited to announce this expansion and the continued investment in the Wausau community,” said Darrell Lentz, president of Aspirus Wausau Hospital. “Aspirus continues to benefit from growing patient demand, and this expansion allows us to respond to this growth in our mission to improve the health of our communities.”
Over the last two years, Aspirus Wausau Hospital has seen an increase in patient volumes in the inpatient and outpatient settings and the emergency department. The hospital also has seen a steady increase in helicopter transports.
“Aspirus enthusiastically approved this project as part of our continued growth and investment in the future,” said Matt Heywood, Aspirus Chief Executive Officer. “Our success is evidenced by both our strong growth and high level of patient satisfaction.”
Since opening in 1979, Aspirus Wausau Hospital has served as a regional care center, providing excellent quality specialty care services from spine and heart to cancer and women’s health. Mayor of Wausau, James E. Tipple, appreciates the contribution of the hospital to the city of Wausau to advance the health of its residents as well as its role as a major regional employer.
“I am proud of the strong partnership between the city and Aspirus Wausau Hospital,” said Mayor Tipple. “Aspirus is a valued community partner that not only provides the highest quality care to our residents, but also contributes greatly to the area’s economic growth, making Wausau an exceptional place to work and live.”
Planning for the project is underway and will be done in phases. Work on the project could begin later this winter with an anticipated completion timeline of 24-30 months.
Expansion details at a glance:
• Palliative Care Unit – Improved size, privacy and access to rooms that serve very ill patients and their families. Additional patient beds added.
• Medical Surgical Intensive Care Unit – Adding new patient beds with additional space to accommodate in-room technology and access for families.
• Cardiac Intensive Care Unit – Addition of four new patient rooms.
• Support Areas – Respiratory Therapy, Pastoral Care Services and waiting areas repositioned and expanded to provide enhanced service and access.
• Cardiac Rehab – The plans call for 1,000 square feet of new space for growing heart program.
• Emergency Department – Expanded ambulance garage and access area to accommodate four ambulances, instead of the current two-rig capacity. The Emergency Department’s façade and canopy will be updated for improved visibility and access.
• Cancer Center – A 7,000 square feet expansion of the Cancer Center to accommodate infusion patients. The addition of in-house PET/CT imaging services.
Dining Room and Kitchen – Expanded and relocated to meet growing needs of patients, visitors and staff members.
As more patients seek care at Aspirus Health System, Aspirus is recruiting for a broad range of open positions in Wausau and throughout the system. In the last six months, Aspirus Wausau Hospital has hired nearly 400 additional caregivers and support staff with plans to hire another 125 people to help serve the growing patient population.
Aspirus Wausau Hospital has more than 2,000 employees, making it the largest employer in Wausau.