SAM Medical, an industry leader committed to developing and manufacturing the most innovative trauma care medical devices, announced the launch of the SAM IO Intraosseous Access System for pre-hospital and hospital healthcare providers in the civilian and military sectors. Designed to be an effective and intuitive alternative solution to intraosseous access, the SAM IO’s unique manually powered and multi-use driver offers medical professionals the ability to quickly and easily administer critical fluids and medications into a patient’s vascular system through the bone marrow during emergency situations.
“At SAM Medical, we are dedicated to bringing emergency medical professionals the most cutting-edge, innovative and easy to use trauma care devices,” said Randy Reed, President of SAM Medical. “With the launch of the SAM IO, we are excited to offer a user-friendly, cost-conscious and more reliable option for providing quick and safe access to a patient’s vascular system when an IV is not feasible.”
At its core, the SAM IO is comprised of two main components: a driver and a needle assembly. The needle assembly, including a catheter and stylet, is secured to the driver via a snap-fit design. The needle is then introduced through the soft tissue of either the proximal humerus, proximal tibia, distal tibia, or distal femur (pediatrics only). Once the needle tip is in contact with bone, the driver handle is actuated, producing rotational control of the needle assembly. The cutting flutes of the catheter drill through cortical bone until the needle assembly is introduced into the bone marrow. The driver and stylet are then removed from the catheter.
SAM IO Intraosseous Access System Overview
- SAM IO Needles: A stylet and catheter assembly secured by a snap-fit connection. 15 mm, 25 mm, and 45 mm lengths are intended to address a broad range of patient demographics and multiple application sites. Needle tip geometry has been optimized to penetrate cortical bone efficiently. Intuitive color-coding and depth indication markers adhere to industry standards.
- NeedleVISE™: Single-use sharps containment device for the stylet.
- Extension Tubing: Connects to the catheter for flexible infusion.
- SAM IO Adaptor: Attaches to the SAM IO Driver to accommodate alternative IO needles.
- SAM IO Stabilizer: Cylinder design intended to protect the catheter from dislodgement.
- SAM IO Driver: A multi-use manually operated intraosseous access driver. Drills the needle into bone without reliance on battery power.
Availability and Additional Information
The SAM IO Intraosseous Access System has received FDA clearance and is now available in the US. The SAM IO will be available to worldwide markets as registration in each country is obtained. If you have questions about availability in your country, please contact Denise Ehlert at the number or email below. To see the new SAM IO at launch, visit the SAM Medical team at EMS 2020, booth #943. Additional products available for demo include the SAM XT, SAM Splint, SAM Pelvic Sling II, SAM Chest Seal, SAM Junctional Tourniquet, ChitoSAM 100 and SAM Soft Shell.
About SAM Medical
For over 30 years, SAM Medical has developed and manufactured innovative medical products used by military, law enforcement, emergency, wilderness and sports medicine, and pre-hospital care around the world. A resounding favorite of medical professionals, SAM Medical’s lineup of products is engineered to save lives. Innovations include SAM XT Extremity Tourniquet, SAM IO Intraosseous Access System, SAM Splint, SAM Chest Seal, SAM Junctional Tourniquet, SAM Pelvic Sling, ChitoSAM, and SAM Soft Shell Splint.